Breitenbush Visit October 2021

Home Forums Stories Breitenbush Visit October 2021

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Erde Sun
    Participant

10/25/21

It’s my first visit to Breitenbush in years – I’m not sure if I came to fill in after the eclipse of 2017.  I’m staying in the NW corner of the Lodge.  Out the west window I see the sauna (it’s open!!).  Out the north window is a view of the back of the Lodge, with the spiral flagstone.  The room is simple and yet elegant, the mattress soft and supportive at the same time (is this using rubber trees in a good way?  I think so.).

The vine maples are in celebratory color.  No burn in the immediate view, but where there was the ground is coming back strong – baby maples in abundance along the road from Detroit.  Areas of dense green forest still, and then an open area with burned trees, standing or clearcut.  Lots of work on the road, and it’s only open ½ hr at 9, 11, 1, and 3.  Some guardrails are melted ribbons of metal near black stumps.  Most of the work seems to be along the rock wall, but also some tree planting – lot of jobs for tree planting for hardy folk, a good service for the area and the larger planet.

The store in the old dining room is so spacious, even with some sitting areas and tables.  I talked with the staff person, Runa, about donating some hats.  I didn’t see any warm hats for sale.  The store manager has to get the okay from Denny, the director, evidence of a different business structure.

I walked down to the footbridge to see the river.  The dam’s just been taken out and I’ve dreaded how that might affect the river’s flow.  But I’m impressed by a natural looking river flow, and think “Well done!”  It’s the first of such statements of appreciation for the quality of work in recovery and rebuilding.

10/26

I slept solid from 12-5, met Zoe at the sauna at 7.  Delicious heat!  I didn’t last long before I had to soak myself with the cold hose – yiyiyi!! – then more time to breathe in the steam before warnings of dizziness pushed me out.  I got my legs in the cold tub for a while and then stood in the morning light until the inner heat began to lessen.  Scrub dry and wrap in the terry robe that Marriah insisted I bring (thanks!).

Wet hair is not a problem in the warm room, but my towel is draped over the heater just in case.  Much is familiar about living here comfortably, but the mask mandate for indoors I am not used to here, so I hang the mask on the doorknob as a reminder.

I walked up to the camping area and saw the PV sites in the woods, the bring-your-own-tent sites around the edge of the meadow, then the platform tents called the Aviary.  Hummingbird was labeled, but many just had the letter on a post.  “G” is the closest to the site of OM13, which was my home in the summer of 2007.  It looks to the east across the meadow, and since it has real beds inside, not just camp mattresses on the floor, I may aim for that lodging in warmer weather.

Just before leaving home I stubbed my toe on the steel base of my coat tree.  Youch!, how amazing how much pain can come from such a small part of the body.  I’m glad for the shoes I brought, that there’s no pressure there and I can walk.  I want to walk over as much of the land as I can.

10/27

I walked up to the reservoir site, the steep hill behind the office mostly burned and recently treated to grinding/mashing.  Not chips but larger and the bare hill is protected until seeds can take hold and trees are planted.  Remembering the Board walking up to the site to vote on the placement, and how I decided to rescue some of the native rhodies which would be cleared with site prep.  One I put by Maha Maya, which didn’t make it.  The other I put in front of Stonehenge, and it had survived, even the blistering hot summer.  But it was too close to the house and would be removed for fire safety, so I dug it up, found it rooted much deeper than I expected, and found a place for it across the Main St. path, in the shelter of a vine maple.  Trimmed about ⅓ of the upper branches in hopes it will survive the transplant.

Gael didn’t make it up today, because the Milky Way hadn’t yet been moved to the guest area and her work is setting up the guest rooms.  I’d seen a group of 3 working at the parking lot site, and grinned at Joe, driving the truck that was being set up to tow.  Close to dark, I hoped they’d give up the challenge that night and do it in the light of morning,

10/28

I  was asleep soon after 8, despite napping.  Nightmare at 10, hope my scream didn’t wake my neighbors.  I got calm again and slept until 6.  I’m brushing my teeth in the bathroom and look over to see Cynthia Rache’s sparkling eyes – amazing how many times we’ve crossed paths since waiting for the bus in grade school!!  And at dinner yesterday I talked with a man who remembered seeing me on the commuter train to Edmonds, and how his after-work malaise melted away, that I seemed to bring Breitenbush into the room.  He thinks it’s my energy, but I know it’s Breitenbush magic.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.