“Tribal Eclipse” 2017 40th Alumni Reunion

Home Forums Stories “Tribal Eclipse” 2017 40th Alumni Reunion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Breitenbush on the “Path of Totality” August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse was an opportunity not to pass up! I am one of many Breitenbush Alumnus who appreciate that Breitenbush scheduled the 40th Alumni  “Tribal Reunion” to coincide with the “Great American” Total Eclipse!

Just before the Eclipse weekend, smoke was infiltrating Breitenbush Hot Springs from the Whitewater Fire and Little Devil Fire. The smoke was progressively heavier each day. By Eclipse day, on Monday, the smoke was so dense that Pahtoo (Mt Jefferson) was not visible from the hillside above Breitenbush where a group of us settled down for the rare solar display.

9 Facts About the US Total Solar Eclipse of August 21, 2017

We were all utterly mesmerized as the moon slowly gobbled up the sun.

At the point of totality I was mysteriously compelled to glance aside and to my amazement Pahtoo appeared, in all her majesty, as the smoke lifted it’s skirts and revealed what had been hidden from our view. In actuality, the smoke particles were no longer illuminated by the rays of sunlight and so the smoke was no longer obstructing the grand view of our dear mountain mascot!

Casing Oregon: Mt. Jefferson Without the Crowds

I expressed my awe aloud so that others could unglue their eyes off of the main attraction long enough to behold Pahtoo before the clouds of smoke again obscured her presence as La Luna crossed over El Sol whose rays again “lit up” the smoke particles in the air.

A double blessing to be sure! Both visions are etched in my minds eye.

I look forward to spring of 2024 when the next Great American Eclipse will inspire multitudes on my birthday: April 8th.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/oregon

John Holley
    Keymaster

Great photos Zoe. A friend and I on that day went above the smoke, north on Hwy 46  to the power line crossing where there was a little crowd. I guess I was underwhelmed because I was expecting it to get totally dark and it didn’t.

Thanks for the great story Zoe!
    That was truly an amazing time to be up at Breitenbush! And Peter’s brother Stephen Moore had that huge telescope for viewing the eclipse and surrounding celestial bodies. That was my last trip to Breitenbush, at least until my next one🌹

My most memorable vision that day was at the point of total eclipse when the light glowed behind the moon in the four directions and looked so much like a Native American pattern. It was clearly a sacred and magical moment. And then when the moon moved slightly and you could see the diamond sparkling on the rim of the corona, that too was truly an awesome site to behold!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.